Volunteer at Roice-Hurst Humane Society
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with us!
Becoming a Volunteer:
Step 1. Complete the application at the bottom of this page. If your availability and interests coincide with available volunteer opportunities, you will be contacted to begin the volunteer orientation. Due to high interest in our volunteer program, we ask for your patience in scheduling new applicants for onboarding.
Step 2. Complete the volunteer orientation. You will receive a link to our online volunteer orientation and training videos via email. After completion, you will be scheduled for an in-person tour and training with the Volunteer Coordinator to get you started.
Court-Ordered Community Service Hours:
If you are seeking to complete court-ordered community service hours, please DO NOT fill out the form below. Click here to complete a court-ordered community service application. If your community service hours are for school or another program (not court-ordered), please fill out the volunteer application at the bottom of this page.
Volunteers Under Age 18:
Ages 11 and under: We do not accept volunteers ages 11 and under.
Ages 12-15: You may join our Junior Volunteer Program! Children and teens in this age group must go through orientation with and be accompanied by the same adult chaperone at all times. Please submit a volunteer application for both the child and the chaperone.
Ages 16-17: You may volunteer by yourself at the shelter with a parent signature.
Please contact our Volunteer Coordinator Jenna at email@example.com or 970-434-7337 ext. 108
Benefits of Volunteering
- Be part of the solution. You’ll join a network of people working to help save the lives of our community’s homeless dogs and cats.
- Get warm fuzzies. You’ll never find a more grateful and accepting friend than an animal you’ve comforted and helped to find a “forever home”.
- Keep good company. You’ll make lots of new friends—and not just the four-legged kind. Working side-by-side with people who share similar interests can forge lifelong friendships.
- Meet the new you. You’ll discover skills you never knew you had, and you may be surprised at what you’re capable of achieving.
- Gain a new career. You’ll learn things that may lead you to the career—or career change—of your dreams. Employers and college admissions officers look favorably on time spent in volunteer service.
Ongoing Volunteer Opportunities
Is our volunteer program for you? We hope so! Roice-Hurst Humane Society has a variety of volunteer opportunities based on your availability, interests, skills, and location. Please reference the brief descriptions below to sign up for the opportunity most suitable for you!
Daily volunteer opportunities like animal care and cleaning can be done at your convenience and on your schedule any time between 8am and 5pm every day of the week, but some volunteer positions like surgery assistance, vaccine clinics, and transports require special availability.
- Dog Care
- Our dogs need to get out of their kennels for walks and playtime several times daily. This provides the dogs exercise, a potty break, socialization, and some leash training. Our dogs enjoy the chance to socialize or just spend some quiet time with you—petting, throwing the ball, or reading to a dog! You can also brush and bathe the dogs if that’s your thing. V-2 dog class is required.
- Feeding – We would love your help in the kitchen during mealtimes!
- Cat Care
- We need volunteers to interact with our cats by playing, brushing, or just sitting and reading. There are plenty of toys in the cat rooms, so play away! V-2 cat class is required.
- Feeding – We would love your help in the kitchen during mealtimes!
- Cleaning & Maintenance
- There is always plenty of cleaning to do at the shelter! Washing dishes, doing laundry, cleaning litter boxes, sweeping and mopping, and more! Our facility is always in need of cleaning, landscaping, and occasional repair.
- Foster Care
- Temporarily care for a shelter pet in your home! Our goal is to move every animal into a foster home if possible, because that’s where they are most comfortable waiting to be adopted! For more information or to sign up to foster, click here or contact our Volunteer & Foster Coordinator, Jenna – firstname.lastname@example.org or 970-434-7337 ext 108.
- Vaccine Clinics
- Every Wednesday from 2-6pm, we host a public low-cost vaccination clinic, and occasionally we deploy our mobile vet unit to do vaccine clinics in the community. We need three volunteers per clinic: one to handle animals for the veterinarian, one to help with check in/out, and one to input vaccination records into the computer. V-3 class is required to assist with handling animals during clinic.
- Vet Room Assistance
- Throughout the week and on vaccine clinic days, our veterinarian and vet tech use volunteers to assist with handling animals in the vet room during routine exams. V-3 class is required to assist with exams in the vet room.
- Surgery Assistance
- Our shelter veterinarian, Dr. Hoppe, performs surgeries on our mobile vet unit every Tuesday and Thursday! We need volunteers to help clean and prepare surgical instruments and help animals wake up post-surgery. V-2 class is required to help with animal recovery.
- Pet Taxi/Transports
- Yes, sometimes our animals need a ride! We need licensed drivers to transport cats and dogs around town, to off-site adoption centers, between Roice-Hurst locations in Grand Junction and Delta, and beyond. Occasionally, we need volunteers to transport animals to and from other shelters around Colorado and beyond.
- Events, Supply Drives & Fundraisers
- The shelter is involved in numerous fundraising and adoption events that may or may not include animals. Volunteers are always needed to assist our staff at these events.
- On your own schedule, set up your own supply drive or fundraiser on behalf of Roice-Hurst at a local store with staff permission using our event supplies!
- Office Support
- Volunteers can help with mailing, filing, computer data entry, or special projects. Some of this work may be done from home.
- Grand Valley Cat Project
- Help curb feline overpopulation by assisting our GVCP Outreach & Field Coordinator, Mila with Trap-Neuter-Return of community cats! We also use volunteers to educate the community through canvassing. Contact Mila – email@example.com or 970-434-7337 ext 133 or 970-261-3760.
- Pet Pantry & Community Health
- Work with our Community Health Liaison, Ashley, to prepare Pet Pantry food and supplies to be given to people in need throughout the community, or drive to drop off pet food and supplies to people in need. Contact Ashley – firstname.lastname@example.org or 970-434-7337 ext. 103
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Roice-Hurst Humane Society! Please complete this form. You will receive an email to begin onboarding if your availability and interests coincide with available volunteer opportunities.
If you are seeking to complete court-ordered community service hours, please DO NOT fill out the form below. Click here to complete a court-ordered community service application.
If you are interested in volunteering at our Delta Satellite Facility, please visit our Delta website.